Thursday, March 11, 2010

3rd quarter ORB

The Lost Boy by David Pelzer. Health Communications Inc., 1997. Genre: Autobiography


The Lost Boy is the sequel to the compelling and inspiring story A Child called it. This story takes place when Dave is between the ages of 12 and 18. In this story Dave Pelzer was taken away from his abusive and cruel mother, and because of this is faced with the hardships that come with being a foster child. Dave is moved from home to home, while constantly being harassed and bombarded with accusations from his cold mother. Throughout the story Dave tries to repress and forget his old life. The only thing he truly wants is the love of a real family.

“The ‘Lost Boy’ stands shining as the premier book on the unique love and dedication that social services and foster familiar provide for our children in peril. Dave Pelzer is certainly a living testament of resilience, personal responsibility and the triumph of human spirit.” –John Bradshaw

Dave Pelzer captures the reader through his perspective throughout the story. The reader sees things through the eyes of a naïve child during the beginning, and throughout the story the reader can see how Dave’s outlook on life changes with age. The reader sympathizes with his situation, and it is this fact that keeps them so interested to see if his life will get any better. Dave’s choice in his way of writing really suited the story and kept the reader waiting for more.

I do not read a lot of biographies so I do not really know what to compare this book with. But it is a continuation of Pelzer’s last book, and I would say that it sheds a little more hope on Dave’s previous situation and can be really uplifting at times. This is very much unlike the previous book that kept the reader in shock, horror, and anger for the most part. I must say I did enjoy this book more though.

“Get out,’ Father said as he gently patted my shoulder, ‘Do what you have to do. Don’t end up like me”(pg 292) Although I do not find myself a fan of nonfiction books about tragedy and inspiration, I found that this book managed to grab my attention and keep it. I do not recall any slow or drawling parts of the book, it was always intense or inspirational. I found hope through David’s story although I might not be in the same situation as him. I admire him for the fact that although times could get rough and hard to get through, he still pushed through them in hope for a better future.

No comments:

Post a Comment